Monday, June 23, 2003

Alright, then. This is my first post on my new blog. I was pretty dissatisfied with the other ones, because I was too stupid to figure out how to properly work it. Hopefully, this one will stick. Basically, this is to get my thoughts down. It may not be an every day thing, but we'll see.

Anyways, the title of this blog comes from one of my favorite songs by Moonbabies, a pop group from Sweden. They play this awesome type of expiremental pop that has traces of shoegaze and ambient throughout with some crazy beats thrown in for good measure. Amazing stuff. Here is a link to their site.

Went and saw Hulk tonight. Longer than I expected; but then, with Ang Lee directing, I should have expected it to be that long. An immensely talented director, but the man takes 10 minutes just to take a breath! I was pretty surprised with what I got, though; I actually got both more and less of what I expected. A popcorn movie that's also a serious meditation on the nature of parent/child relationships. Weird combo, but kinda nice. The movie was was silly at some parts (and by silly I mean unbelievable), but on the whole took itself a little more seriously than I would have liked.

It got me thinking, though, which is a nice change. I wonder how much of our parents are passed on to us. I look at my mother sometimes and wonder if I'm gonna end up like her. Don't get me wrong; I love my mom a lot, but I wouldn't like to turn out like her. Sometimes I see in myself character traits that are so much like her that I'm both glad and a little saddened at the same time.

For example, I'd like to think that I've inherited some of my Dad's nearly unblinking calmness (or what my Mom might call his boring-ness), but I see in myself much of the same hot-headed spazziness that my Mom has. Sometime that's a good thing. It tranlates sometimes into passion for a subject (mainly music), or an unbending conviction in my belief in some things (also known as stubbornness).

I'm also reading Dean Koontz's "Fear Nothing." Pretty good book. I read it before, but I finally found the box with all my books in it (lost it at my parent's house), and wanted to read it again. In the book, one of the characters is speaking about others wanting to create a mark in the world. In this view, the world is perfect as it is, and when we try to leave a mark, that's when we get in trouble. To an extent, I see this point of view, but to me, creating something is what matters. That's why I'm a musician: to create is to touch something that God left in us, also touching God. That's why teaching is an even greater thrill to me: instead of making things, I'm making people. Awesome thought. But what if I'm just passing down the insecurities passed down to me? Scary thought.

Alright, enough melodrama. Can't promise all my posts will be this "deep."

Today's Playlist:
Moonbabies- June and Novas
Creeper Lagoon- Remember the Future EP
Built to Spill- There's Nothing Wrong With Love
American Analog Set- Promise of Love

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home