(Mormon) Missionary Style
So this is not the mix CD I promised to make in my last post. Get over it. It'll be along, eventually. Anyway, this particular one is for my friend Robert, who is going off at the end of this semester to do his required mission. Say what you will about Mormons, but at least they're dedicated. If all protestants had their gumption/dedication, I've a feeling that the American church would be a far different place right now.
That's neither here nor there, however. This compilation is mostly instrumental (and I say mostly because if there are vocals, they're usually just wordless, vocodered sounds), and will fit quite nicely on an 80-minute CD (with a few minutes of blank space left). The reason for it being instrumental is because while Mormon missionaries are allowed to listen to music in the field, it can contain no lyrics about love or romance, as not to diminish focus from the mission.
I've been wanting to make an instrumental compilation for awhile, and I'm pleased to say my first stab was fairly successful, save for a few slightly awkward transitions (which bug the crap out of me) that resulted from me having to cut out another 40 minutes of interstitial music to make as much of the good stuff as I could fit on one CD.
Mixes for me are an art form, involving hours of sitting in front of two seperate CD players (one playing the end of the preceding track, while the other plays the beginning of the next), listening for matching keys and matching "feels," and generally switching CD's in and out like a madman. That's why it takes me forever to finish one. When I do finish one, it's usually friggin' amazing.
Anyway, here it is, the:
Various Artists: The Mormon Mission Mix
1. Argentina- National Anthem
2. Unwed Sailor- Our Nights
3. Archers of Loaf- Acromegaly
4. Maserati- Ambassador of Cinema
5. Japancakes- Vocode-Inn
6. The Swords Project- Audience of One
7. Questions In Dialect- Walking On Water
8. Explosions in the Sky- The Only Moment We Were Alone
9. The Six Parts Seven- Where Are the Timpani Heartbeats?
10. The Mercury Program- You Give Me Problems About My Business
11. Mogwai- 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong
This one flows nicely (despite the few awkward transitions). I can't wait to take it driving.
I'm out.


<< Home