Slum Creeper
Went to a show last night Ybor at the Orpheum: Calla, Gregor Samsa, Textual, and the Dumbwaiters. They were all pretty good (I'm assuming, we missed the Dumbwaiters and skipped out on almost all of Calla's set), but I was especially impressed by Textual. That's the first time I'd seen a show with a group that played IDM, so I didn't really know what to expect. Would they flesh out the sound with live band, or would it be just a guy with his laptop? It was just the guy with his laptop, but they had kinda of a cool concept for it, though. Instead of just having him sit on a stage and fiddle with his computer, they put a video screen in front of the stage (so you couldn't see him) and played a movie. The movie didn't really fit the music, which was lovely low-key melodic IDM, but it was good nonetheless. I don't understand why Tigerstyle would have passed on releasing the Textual album. Gregor Samsa was okay, kind of shoegaze-y and mostly unimpressive. They only played four songs, one of which was this looooong dirge, 2 of which had some Slowdive-y moments (not a bad thing), and one that started out as Slowdive but turned into a bad Sigur Ros cover (not really, but it sounded so much like Sigur Ros that they were virtually indistinguishable).
We also went to the Castle last night, which is this goth-y dance club in Ybor. We used to go on Monday nights becaus they used to play good 80's music (Echo and the Bunnymen, The Smiths, The Cure, etc), but Monday nights started sucking recently, and we'd had heard that Thursday was the new Monday (figuratively speaking, of course). So we checked it out. It wasn't bad. They played some good stuff (the White Stripes, a-Ha, Interpol), but overall I was pretty underwhelmed. Man, I love that Interpol CD, though.
Anyways, after a night at the club, I usually need some quiet music to recover.
Trying-To-Get-Some-Rest-Don't-Want-To-Bring-Back-the-Headache Playlist:
The Six Parts Seven -Things Shaped In Passing
Tarentel- Ephemera (Singles 99-2000)
Calla- Calla
The Violet Burning- This Is the Moment


<< Home