Thursday, July 03, 2003

All Gates Open

Got my car back today, which is awesome. As much as I love my Mom and the friends that gave me rides, it really does suck to be on someone else's schedule. I never really thought about it before, which is weird since I spent a great deal of my time (until the age of 19, in fact) being driven around by everyone else. That's right, I was one of those kids: the ones who didn't get their learner's permit at 15 and their license at 16 (The HORROR!).

Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with waiting that late to get your license. Mine was more of a decision that I refused to drive my parent's van. That's the vehicle they tried to teach me in, which was not the ideal vehicle as it has a tendency to a.) not work, and b.) kind of fall apart at random times. Seriously. True story: the first time I ever drove it was on the interstate coming back from Valdosta, GA. I'm already nervous because I'm surrounded by a bunch of huge trucks and there's a mile long bridge that's one lane and has no shoulders coming up. So I'm in the far left lane, and all of the sudden the car bucks and makes a loud groaning noise,and then suddenly sinks down a foot on the driver's side. I, of course, freak out and start screaming at my Mom (I don't remember what, I was in a total state of panic, but it was probably something along the lines of this: "Ohmigod-you-hate-me-why'd-you-make-me-drive-this-piece-of-crap-you're-trying-to-kill-me-aren't-you-I-knew-it-AIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"). I somehow (the grace of God, I think), manage to get the car across two lanes of traffic and pull to the side of the road, where I get out and sit there with my hands on my knees, looking at my shoes and trying to decide whether or not I'm gonna throw up. I then turn around to look at the car and I notice that the wheel has come completely off the car. Seriously. Needless to say, I was a little reticent to drive the van after that (a little reticent in the same way that a rat is little covered in fur, or that water is a little wet).

Strangely enough, I still got my license, and have since gotten into enough accidents to supply a bustling legal practice. No matter. When you fall off the horse, get back on again, never minding the fact that it will probably kill you this time.

Anyway, been listening to some chill music today, what my friend Gary calls "Eurotrash," which I take to mean "Any music that sounds vaguely British, dance-oriented, and 80's." Whatever. I like it. It fits the rain outside.

Rick's Eurotrash Playlist (with thanks to Gary Phillips):
Sleeping Diagonally: A Sleep Mix- Various Artists
A Million Circles: 80's Post-Punk Then and Now- Various Artists
Longwave- The Strangest Things
Interpol- Turn On the Bright Lights
Ova Looven- 58:34
Felix Da Housecat- Kittenz and Thee Glitz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home